This was a stressful and frustrating day for both of us. Positive
thoughts won't make the rain go away!!
With another week of chilly temperatures, heavy rain, and fog predicted for Denali
National Park and Fairbanks, we decided to leave the park this morning
so we could camp somewhere with electricity.
Our propane space heater puts out considerable moisture and it's
difficult to get it dried up by running the dehumidifier with only the
generator. We don't want to end up with mold and mildew inside the Cameo
like we did when we were up here in 2012.
If it stayed
more like this, we'd be at Denali NP longer!
We noticed another problem last night before bed -- neither of us
had a phone signal and we couldn't get on the internet with our MiFi. It
was worse this morning; even the park Mercantile's computers and
phones were down.
That did it. We're outa here!
We should get at least a partial refund from the five days we cancelled
at Denali. It doesn't really matter, at only $14/night with our senior
park pass. [We did get most of it refunded.]
THE DRIVE TO FAIRBANKS
We checked out at the campground office and Jim dumped black and gray water
before leaving the park. We left at 11:05 AM and got to Fairbanks
about 1:45 PM.
The 121-mile drive to Fairbanks was rainy, foggy, and chilly (40s-50s
F.), with minimal traffic on the Parks Highway. It was so dreary and
the views were so limited I didn't even take any photos along the way.
That's a first, and an indication of how bummed out I was.
The road was pretty smooth till Nenana, then a little rougher the last twenty
miles to Fairbanks. The only road work was right at the entrance to
Denali NP and it's still a real mess.
RIVER'S EDGE RV PARK
We decided to camp at least one night at River's Edge RV Park.
We originally had a reservation there for Aug. 30-Sept. 7 but cancelled it
a couple weeks ago. There are a lot of empty sites tonight so we didn't
have a problem just showing up and asking for a 30-amp pull-through FHU
It's a whopping $42+/night with military or Good Sam discount but we do
have free WiFi (700 megabytes each) and cable TV. We got the camper warm
and dry with two electric heaters and the dehumidifier.
Since it's all wet here, too, for the next several days we plan to leave
in the morning and head back toward Canada.
This afternoon we stocked up at Sam's Club and WalMart and
got gas for the generator, diesel for the truck ($3.36/gallon), and propane
for the Cameo ($3.29/gallon). We'll be glad when we can get cheaper fuel
in the Lower 48.
When I was looking at produce at WalMart I realized we already had a LOT of fresh
fruits and vegetables, as well as chicken and eggs. Any of them may be a
problem at the Canadian border. I loaded up on groceries in Anchorage,
anticipating seven days at Denali instead of two -- and more
than just one night in Fairbanks.
There is an avian flu scare from fresh poultry and poultry products so I thawed out eight chicken breasts and cooked them this evening. We
hard-cooked all eight eggs, too. From what we've read on the Canadian
customs website these items shouldn't be confiscated if they are already
We ate some fruit and veggies and will have another day tomorrow to
continue eating those.
I dug out the passports, the dogs' papers, and other items we might need
in the truck with us when we go through the Canadian border. We hope we
don't have any problems on Thursday when we head into the Yukon.
River's Edge is probably a very nice RV park but with all the rain, it's
hard to tell. The sites have more room than some we've found in Alaska,
even at higher-priced RV parks.
The Chena River runs along the edge of the property. It's very still tonight,
with lots of ducks. We were told to take the dogs to the grassy picnic
area next to the river to potty:
Our site has enough room but nothing like the prime site we just had at
Denali. I hated to give that up after only two nights but I'm OK with
Denali National Park, the state of Alaska, and NW Canada are fabulous
when it's sunny. When it rains for days on end, snow is predicted, it's
cold, and there is smoke from wildfires . . . it's time for us to
the rain will literally put a damper on the wildfires.
You can call us "fickle" like my sister does, or you can just say
we like to be comfortable and safe.
Next entry: a big scare with 12 YO Cody -- Old
Dog Vestibular Disease
"Runtrails & Company" - Sue Norwood, Jim O'Neil,
Cody the ultra Lab, and Casey-pup
© 2015 Sue Norwood and Jim O'Neil